Saturday, July 12, 2008

My All Time Favorite New York Yankee Has Died

Bobby Murcer formerly of the New York Yankees died today at the age of 62. I idolized Bobby when I was a little leaguer. While most kids idolized the super stars of the day, I idolized a gritty outfielder for the Yankees who seemed to always come through in the clutch.

I kept the Sports Illustrated with the big story on him for years. I treasured his baseball cards. When the Yankees were on TV I watched his every at bat with rapt attention.

He never became the "next Mickey Mantle" as predicted, but he was my favorite. A lifetime .277 hitter with 252 home runs he'll always be more than numbers to me.

Legend has it a sick kid asked him to hit a home run for him. He hit two that day.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Murcer.

No comments: